Skip to main content
So this is that weekend. I'm supposed to go up to the house and say goodbye to it and clear out all my stuff. I am not looking forward to it at all. But it might not happen this weekend. The roads are wicked icy apparently -- or they're going to be.

There are two different routes I could go with it:

John's Plan

  • My boyfriend, John, comes home from work tonight. We go to bed super early (like seven o'clock). We wake up at 4am (ugh) and drive 4.5 hours to my house. We do something (????) with the dogs. We clean from 10am until we're finished. John expects 4-6 hours. Then we drive home. If we get started at 5, we should be here around 9-10pm. We sleep all Sunday, get up to watch the game, probably sleep some more.
  • Pros: fast, gets it done with quickly, little time for feelings, can sleep all the next day
  • Cons: little time for feelings, John drives 9 hours in one day (and cleans and puts up with me)
Jacob's Plan
  • My brother, Jacob, drives from my house area to here tomorrow night. Stays the night here, gets up Sunday morning and drives us back. I clean alone (he'll be cleaning too, just his room, though). Tuesday night he drives me back, spends the night here, and drives back to our house area on Wednesday morning (and arrives in time for work).
  • Pros: John doesn't have to drive 9+ hours, John doesn't have to deal with my family's mess, I can approach it at a slower pace and feel all my feelings
  • Cons: feelings, I have to spend the night in the house, I have to be away from John and the dogs for two nights
I'm still not sure which will be the best plan. My mother expects that I will fill a full car full of stuff. I want maybe two boxes of stuff. My mother will be pushing me to keep stuff. Jacob thinks I shouldn't just throw everything away. I know John could help me decide what's worth keeping and what isn't and that's part of why I want him there. Another, very large part of me is very embarrassed to have him there. This is one of the last great "secrets" of our relationship. He's heard me talk about what it was like growing up in that house but he has not experienced it.

I just had my mother take this video, though:


I guess the main deciding factor is emotionally, can I do this alone? Emotionally, how long will it take? Can I handle it?

I don't know. That's why I've been avoiding it for so long. When I think about what's in my room, there are maybe five things I want to keep.

  • My friend (who I no longer talk to) painted me a nice, pretty painting once. It's kind of bland and plain, but pretty nice.
  • I want to display my Aggrabah Polly Pocket Castle because, quite frankly, it's cool af (I have several of these but don't know if I want to keep the rest? this is when John would come in)
  • Mostly books
  • My guitar (strong maybe on this one)
  • My ultra-soft lavender duvet
  • My plum-colored body pillow (also ultra soft)
  • My mom will take the furniture for the guest house

Nothing else comes to mind. There's so much stuff in the house, though. In my room, too. I have to accept this and confront it.

I'm scared and I don't know what to do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running (Away)

So we are selling the house I grew up in. As a child of a hoarder, I have a very complicated relationship with that house. My best friend was devastated when they had to sell her childhood home (and her grandfather lived right next door so it wasn't as if she would never be able to be in the area again and visit her hometown). My boyfriend was very upset when he moved away from home. I would say I'm relieved, but I'm mostly just apathetic. I've avoided going "home" as much as possible since I left six years ago. I stay for a week tops. And when I go back, I spend as little time in the house as possible. I go out and I wander around the mall alone. I take the dog on long walks. I do homework at the local library. Mostly I sleep late, find an excuse to leave – some friend I haven't seen in forever, a long walk to hang out with them, then a long walk home – dinner, and then tying up my running shoes to go out for a walk/run. I take the same route every nigh...

New Year, New Me and All That Jazz

I hate the "New Year, New Me" thing. I hate New Year's resolutions. A new year won't make it any easier to change your life, any easier to reinvent yourself. It's going to be hard no matter when you do it. There's no point in making resolutions that you won't follow and then feel guilty about breaking them. Just choose any day of the year, any day when the way you're living has become too much for you to bear, any day when you have the motivation, the urge, the drive to make the change. That's your new start. So many people are hungover on New Year's Day. Who wants to go to the gym when you were out late the night before? Who wants to clean the house or go for a run or eat a freakin' salad? No one. New Year's resolutions are set up to fail and when they do fail, you can tumble down a whole guilt spiral only amplified by the pressure associated with all of it. I didn't make any New Year's resolutions and I'm not living my...

We Did It

So I did it. It's done. We woke up at four am. He packed his half of the overnight bag just in case we had to borrow money from my brother and stay in a hotel (or in case the house was too gross and we needed a change of clothes after). I made coffee. He started to drive. We played the alphabet game (which is pretty rough in rural Pennsylvania). He won. Twice. Anxiousness was giving me heartburn so I was munching on Tums while he snacked on frosted animal crackers. The drive took four hours. I had told him about how disgusting our toilet was (I still don't know why it was like that, my brother and I have tried to clean it so many times), so we stopped to get gas and pee before going to my house. We went to grab bagels for my family, but when I asked the bagel guy who knows my family what they always order, he told me that they had already been in. So my boyfriend and I just ate our bagels in the car. We pulled up to the house. I felt weird. I didn't know if I was ...