Skip to main content

Life After Hoarding

I'm starting a new blog. I don't know why. It's not as if I don't have a bunch of abandoned  accounts and unfinished projects scattered across a multitude of sites. But I have a story to tell and in the vastness of the internet, I have a place to tell it.

I'm a college graduate living in a cute, yellow house with my boyfriend and our two dogs. I keep a pretty clean house, but it is still -- according to all the people who have visted -- "homey". 

This is going to be a blog about that blurry line between "homey" and "hoardy" that I'm so scared to cross. This is a blog about the home I haven't lived in in five years. The home that's going on the market in two months and how I will have to return to go through my own room. This is going to be a blog about learning how to clean a home for the first time at 23. This will be a blog about the stupid things my brother and I did to keep from drowning in our own home. This blog will be about mental health, organizing, cleaning, and confronting the parts of myself that scare me.

I've escaped where I used to live and I've spent a long time pretending it didn't exist, but I've come to realize that to truly move on I must face my past and learn from it. And so this is my tale of my life after hoarding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So this is that weekend. I'm supposed to go up to the house and say goodbye to it and clear out all my stuff. I am not looking forward to it at all. But it might not happen this weekend. The roads are wicked icy apparently -- or they're going to be. There are two different routes I could go with it: John's Plan My boyfriend, John, comes home from work tonight. We go to bed super early (like seven o'clock). We wake up at 4am (ugh) and drive 4.5 hours to my house. We do something (????) with the dogs. We clean from 10am until we're finished. John expects 4-6 hours. Then we drive home. If we get started at 5, we should be here around 9-10pm. We sleep all Sunday, get up to watch the game, probably sleep some more. Pros: fast, gets it done with quickly, little time for feelings, can sleep all the next day Cons: little time for feelings, John drives 9 hours in one day (and cleans and puts up with me) Jacob's Plan My brother, Jacob, drives from my house

Miss Fix-It

So as I might have mentioned, I'm 23 years old. I'm living in my own home relatively far away from all my family and friends. I have my boyfriend and my two dogs. We're not exactly rich. I work part-time from home (and am trying to get more into freelancing). He works full-time from an office. So when stuff breaks in the house, it's up to us to fix it. When it first started to get cold, we realized that our shower temperature left a lot to be desired. But we knew there was a temperature gauge in the shower itself. So, I lugged the tool bag upstairs and settled down on the floor and started looking up YouTube tutorials. It took me a while to get the shower handle disassembled, but once I did, that's when things got really confusing. I found the gauge and just could not get it to move. I tried for about half an hour, then went downstairs to take a breather and distance myself from it. My boyfriend went upstairs and took a crack at it, then I tried again. We just c